Nebraska Appleseed and citizens are gathering for a vigil to restore prenatal care. The effort to restore prenatal care is at a critical stage. Bring a friend and show support for the Legislature and Governor Heineman’s final steps to pass this bill.
Wednesday, April 11
State Capitol, Lincoln (west side of the capitol building – at the statue of Lincoln – 14th Street)
Help ensure that all Nebraska babies have the chance at a healthy start in life. Prenatal care is fiscally responsible. It’s good health policy. It’s the right thing to do.
Download the vigil flyer here. Check out our fact sheet on LB 599!
Tips for Participants:
- Please help reinforce the tone that this is a vigil, not a rally.
- If opponents of prenatal care are present, please do not engage them. This does not help our cause. Simply show our strong, peaceful support for Nebraska’s children.
Background on LB 599:
LB 599 would restore prenatal care coverage for all low-income women and babies. It is critical because:
- Prenatal care is essential to ensuring that all Nebraska babies have the chance at a healthy start in life.
- Every $1 spent on prenatal care can save between $2.57 and $3.38 in later costs by avoiding premature and low birth weight babies, preventable birth defects, and difficult births.
- Prenatal care makes a difference for a lifetime.
- Nebraska provided prenatal care to all low-income women and babies for decades and we need to return to that proud tradition. See the timeline.