As Nebraskans prepare for the first of two weekends of building a renewable energy barn inside the proposed Keystone XL route, we are excited to announce Tom Steyer will help dedicate the barn on Sept. 22 at 3pm.
Build Our Energy Barn Project Inside Keystone XL Route Announces
Energy Investor Tom Steyer as Special Guest
York, Nebraska — As Nebraskans prepare for the first of two weekends of building a renewable energy barn inside the proposed Keystone XL route, we are excited to announce Tom Steyer will help dedicate the barn on Sept. 22 at 3:00 p.m.
Tom Steyer is an energy investor whose contributions total over $2 million in fighting Keystone XL. In political circles, Steyer’s strength and strategy have contributed to a shift with major opinion leaders and in the ground game in various elections. Steyer just announced $1 million ad campaign (http://www.keystonetruth.com/).
The barn will be built by volunteers in a traditional barn-raising style. Billboards with messages opposing the pipeline featuring quotes from Pres. Obama will also be created at the barn site and placed along the proposed KXL route. Materials for the barn are made in the USA and Nebraska. Union labor will install the solar panels on the barn. Donations from Nebraskans and folks across the United States have funded the $65,000 project.
“Investing in local and clean energy is what builds communities and our nation,” said Tom Steyer, energy investor. “Pres. Obama has a clear choice, do we build our clean and local energy or do we allow a foreign corporation to use our land and risk our water for their bottom line. Our President must put our national interest over TransCanada’s interest to expand and export tarsands.”
- WHAT: Build Our Energy Barn construction inside Keystone XL proposed route
- WHEN: Sept. 14-15 and Sept. 21-22
- Each weekend we will build the barn and paint billboards from 8:00 a.m.—5:00 p.m
- Barn Dedication Ceremony: Sept. 22 at 3:00 p.m. (Press is welcome any day and at any time)
- Tom Steyer will speak at the barn dedication on Sept. 22 at 3:00 p.m.
- WHERE: Hammond/Harrington/Kleinschmidt family farm, 30 minutes NW of York, Nebraska
- Using address 705 Road 22 Bradshaw, NE continue West on Road 22, turn Right at Road G (follow signs for “Barn Build”) and continue 0.2 miles to parking site (MAP)
- GPS marker: @41.00616,-97.71251
- WHY: Nebraskans want clean and local energy that builds our future. TransCanada does not have a permit and there is no indication they will get a permit. The strength of citizens has stopped the pipeline for over four years and we are confident President Obama will deny the permit because of actions like the Build Our Energy Barn that provide a clear choice for our energy future.
Photos and B-roll: Bold Nebraska will post high-res photos every day by 8 p.m. and can provide b-roll to any press outlet. Photos are posted on Flickr but individual photos and b-roll can also be emailed.
- Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/boldnebraska
- Video of Family: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kku0zpGonE
- About Build Our Energy Barn project: https://boldnebraska.org/build
Contact: Mark Hefflinger | email@example.com