Today is the National Day of Action against ALEC (American Legislative Exchange Council), and we need your help.
ALEC has been described as a “crypto-lobbying outfit,” a “corporate dating service,” and “the most influential corporate funded political force most Americans have never heard of.”
From Stand Your Ground to ‘Right to Work’, ALEC has been on the forefront of the attempted right-wing corporate takeovers of our statehouses across the country. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC’s operations and pay for a seat on ALEC task forces, all in exchange for legislators pushing their profit-driven agenda nationwide.
Last month ALEC documents published in The Guardian showed what so many of us knew:
- ALEC has been losing corporate and political support due to its extreme agenda
- ALEC has a serious financial shortfall, and is attempting to bring corporations back that left
- ALEC is attempting to rebrand its failing image with a new group called the Jeffersonian Project
Now is the time to stand up and reclaim democracy in our statehouses. If you want to find out more about the ALEC agenda, visit the Center for Media and Democracy’s ALEC Exposed website, or email email@example.com.
What You Can Do to Stand Up to ALEC
Tuesday, January 21st, organizations and individuals nationwide will be joining forces to Stand Up to ALEC. Here are some simple actions you can take to make your voice heard:
Share these links on Facebook/Twitter/Email:
- Stand Up to ALEC Website: www.standuptoalec.org
- Sign the petition to get Google out of ALEC: http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/google-time-to-dump-alec
- ALEC Exposed: http://www.alecexposed.org/wiki/ALEC_Exposed
Engage Your Twitter Followers: Here are some sample Tweets:
- Join the fight to StandUpToALEC.org and let’s take back our schools, civil rights and economic security! #StandUpToALEC #ALECexposed
- On this Day of Action join citizens in states across the country as we take back our democracy: StandUpToALEC.org #StandUpToALEC
- Hey @ALEC_states we’re reclaiming our Statehouses for workers, families and our Democracy! #StandUpToALEC #ALECexposed
- Why #StandUpToALEC? Well in case you forgot: http://gu.com/p/3kpp3/tw via @guardian #ALECexposed
Share This Image on Facebook / Change Your Facebook/Twitter Profile Picture
- Click here for a version of the above “Stand Up to ALEC” image you can share on Facebook
- Right-click the image above and choose “Save As” to save it to your computer. Then, change your Facebook and/or Twitter profile image to let your friends and followers know you’re standing up to ALEC on Tues., Jan. 21.
- Please Like the Stand Up to ALEC FB page and share the stories posted to your Timeline: https://www.facebook.com/StandUpToALEC
Thank you for your work and your dedication. If you’d like to learn more about our fight against ALEC, email firstname.lastname@example.org.