Nebraska Appleseed and citizens are gathering for a vigil to restore prenatal care. The effort to restore prenatal care is at a critical stage. Bring a friend and show support for the Legislature and Governor Heineman’s final steps to pass this bill.
Wednesday, April 11
State Capitol, Lincoln (west side of the capitol building – at the statue of Lincoln – 14th Street)
Help ensure that all Nebraska babies have the chance at a healthy start in life. Prenatal care is fiscally responsible. It’s good health policy. It’s the right thing to do.
Tips for Participants:
- Please help reinforce the tone that this is a vigil, not a rally.
- If opponents of prenatal care are present, please do not engage them. This does not help our cause. Simply show our strong, peaceful support for Nebraska’s children.
Background on LB 599:
LB 599 would restore prenatal care coverage for all low-income women and babies. It is critical because:
- Prenatal care is essential to ensuring that all Nebraska babies have the chance at a healthy start in life.
- Every $1 spent on prenatal care can save between $2.57 and $3.38 in later costs by avoiding premature and low birth weight babies, preventable birth defects, and difficult births.
- Prenatal care makes a difference for a lifetime.
- Nebraska provided prenatal care to all low-income women and babies for decades and we need to return to that proud tradition. See the timeline.