Update, 4/23: You can watch the hearing in full at the NET Nebraska site (our NPR affiliate) they taped everyone’s testimony.
Please share this 2 minute recap video of the hearing produced by 350.org: http://youtu.be/cXKJgTn5iN8
See pics from the hearing on our Flickr page (we add more every day): http://www.flickr.com/photos/boldnebraska
Details on the hearing, BBQ and other info for press and the public are updated daily. Click here or scroll below to see details.
If you are in one of the following cities, partner organizations Sierra Club and 350.org have organized group vans to transport Pipeline Fighters to and from Grand Island next week. Click on a city link below to view details and RSVP to join us on Thursday, April 18:
- Kansas City, Missouri
- Chicago, Illinois, Des Moines and Iowa City, Iowa
- Ames and West Des Moines, Iowa
- Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Wichita and Salina, Kansas
- Commerce City, Colorado
April 16: Landowner Route Tour (press only)
Heartland Events Center, 700 East Stolley Park Rd., Grand Island, NE (map) / south entrance
We are visiting 3 landowners along the proposed pipeline route. You will have time to conduct private individual interviews. To secure a spot on the tour, please email ï»¿firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also just show up at the Heartland Events Center at 7am by the South Entrance. We will depart from here.
Individual Interviews and Pictures (press only)
If you can not attend the Landowner Route Tour, we can email you a list of landowners that have opened their land for you to visit with their family. Email Mary Anne Andrei at email@example.com or email Jane Kleeb at firstname.lastname@example.org for details. We also have numerous high resolution action pictures, close-ups of ranchers and various other photos for use by press.
April 17: BBQ and Prayer Circle (press and public only)
Jim Tarnick’s farm, 550th St, Fullerton, NE 68638, driving directions below
April 18: Press Conference (press only)
Heartland Events Center, 700 East Stolley Park Rd., Grand Island, NE (map) / south entrance, 4-H Cafe
Groups, landowners, experts and special guests from MI and AR will formally address the press inside the 4-H Cafe, which is on the grounds of the Heartland Events Center (near the South entrance). Email Mary Anne Andrei at email@example.com or email Jane Kleeb at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Press resources | MAPS:
- TransCanada’s version of the Sandhills boundaries
- Comparison of DEQ and TransCanada Sandhills boundaries
Wednesday, April 17: Tarsands-Free BBQ and Prayer Circle (open to press and public)
April 17th, 4-8pm
Jim Tarnick’s farm, Fullerton, NE (Link to Google Directions and map here)
Come eat some tarsands-free beef raised in the Sandhills. We will have veggie food also. Tribal and faith leaders will guide us in a prayer circle at 6:30pm. Food starts at 5pm.
- Bring a flashlight or a candle since we will have a prayer circle with flashlights and candles.
- We encourage you to bring your own travel mug, and if you are able, to bring a lawn chair or two to help provide seating.
- If you want to bring a dessert to share, please do!
- Jim Tarnick’s Farm is at 550th St, Fullerton, NE 68638 (Note: please use our maps. Google Maps provides incorrect directions if you just input the given address).
- Directions from Grand Island, NE (Note: please use this map. Google Maps provides incorrect direcitons if you just input the given address).
Driving directions: Take U.S. 30 East/Lincoln Hwy for 22 miles. Slight left onto NE-14 N/17th Ave, continue on NE-14 N for 5.2 miles. Turn right onto NE-14 N/NE-92 E, continue for 1 mile. Turn left back onto NE-14 N and continue for 10.7 miles. Turn right onto Rd 2490 (just before Loup River bridge). Take the blacktop road East until it ends, the road then curves North a half mile and curves back East. Go 1.5 miles East and you will reach the farm. Look for the brick split level house on north side of road. (We will have signs and luminaries to mark the route as well.)
- Directions from Fullerton, NE (Note: please use this map. Google Maps provides incorrect directions if you just input the given address).
Driving directions: Go 1.5 miles south out of Fullerton on South Johnson St / NE-14 crossing the Loup River bridge. Turn East right after the bridge and take the blacktop East until it ends, the road then curves North a half mile and curves back East. Go 1.5 miles East and you will reach my farm. Look for the brick split level house on north side of road.
Thursday, April 18: State Dept. Hearing on Keystone XL Pipeline
April 18th, noon-8pm CT (registration to speak/testify starts at 11am, a break happens from 3:30-4pm)
Heartland Events Center, 700 East Stolley Park Rd., Grand Island, NE (map)
- If you want to testify, you should be in line by 7am when the gates to the Heartland Events Center open.
- Lines will start at 7am at both the North and South Entrance. Then at 11am they will let poeple in 10 at a time to register.
- You can NOT camp to secure a place in line.
- Check in with us at the 4-H Cafe near the South Entrance if you have any questions. That is where we will be.
- We are asking folks to wear the Pipeline Fighter t-shirt and your Pipeline Fighter armband. You can get one at the BBQ or we will also hand them out at the hearing, stop into the 4-H Cafe at the Heartland Events Center to pick yours up.
- We will not hold a formal rally but will have music and would like those that are not going to testify to help keep the spirits up by walking up and down the line with signs. So please, bring homemade signs! You can not bring the signs into the hearing room, but we reserved the 4-H Cafe next to the Heartland Events Center so you can stow your sign and then pick it up on your way home.
- We will have snacks and water inside the 4-H Cafe. We encourage everyone to bring your own travel mug.
- We are bringing new yard signs for folks to pick up and take home after the hearing from the 4-H cafe.
- If you want to volunteer, just note that on the form above.
- The only time we ask that you do not enter the 4-H Cafe is during our formal press conference, from 9:15-10am.