Dear fellow Pipeline Fighters,
Sometimes words seem inadequate when it comes to expressing your true feelings about certain things, and that seems to be the case as I try to express my gratitude to all of you who have been involved in the fight to stop the Keystone XL pipeline.
I hope you join me and become a Bold Member today, to show our pride and collective power to keep making our state great.
There is little doubt in my mind that if it were not for every one of your dedicated efforts, there would already be a permanent scar on America’s landscape, and landowners would be left to live out their lives with the fear and anxiety of knowing 800,000 barrels per day of toxic sludge was running through their property, threatening their land, water, and livelihoods.
Taking all of this into consideration makes a simple thank-you seem quite inadequate, but I really don’t know what else to say — so to all of you, on behalf of all the farmers and ranchers who fought this fight I would simply like to say THANK YOU, we will forever be indebted to you.
In my opinion, no thank-you would be complete without a special mention of Jane Kleeb and the Bold Nebraska team. I think we would all agree that we have been part of something special, unexpected, and historical — an unlikely alliance.
At the epicenter of all this was a feisty little gal from Florida who came to Nebraska and showed the world what Nebraskans stand for. To me, Jane is truly one of a kind; she built a diverse coalition of people that is rarely seen in today’s world.
To my amazement, she even organized farmers and ranchers…and that’s kind of like rounding up a bunch of wild yearling steers grazing in the hills and trees and getting them all into the same corral!
Her door was always open to anyone who wanted to join the effort, and no questions were ever asked. That is what made our coalition so effective and special.
By all accounts, Jane and the Bold Nebraska team have filled the void left by our do-nothing elected officials. With current and future issues that will need to be addressed, I think it is critically important that our coalition hangs together and continues to support Jane and her work at Bold Nebraska. If I know Jane, she will give us one hell of a return on our investment!
The Bold Membership program is a way for all of us to stand up and proudly say—with a card you can carry—I am a “Bold Nebraskan,” who supports our ongoing work to protect our land, water and climate.
BOLD Membership Levels
- Bold Student, Student Membership | $25 one-time donation
- Bold Nebraskan, Individual Membership | $5 per month (or $60 one-time donation)
- Bold Family, Family Membership | $11 per month (or $125 one-time donation)
- Bold Business, Small Business Membership | $13 per month (or $150 one-time donation)
- Bold Sustainer, Investor Membership | $42 per month (or $500 one-time donation)
BOLD Membership includes:
- First-of-its kind “Bold Member” card printed with your name
- Free t-shirt of Jane’s choice (Family membership includes everyone)
- Priority seating and tickets at events
- Vote on which candidates we endorse in the New Energy Voter Guide
- Two yearly mailings from the Bold Team exclusive to Bold Members
- Bold Business gets placement on “Made in the Neb” map, window decal
- Yearly box of additional special gifts at the Family and Sustainer levels
Bold Nebraska’s Goals for 2016:
- Urge the Nebraska Legislature to repeal LB 1161, an unconstitutional pipeline routing law, and ensure they put stronger property rights laws in place that put power back in the hands of landowners.
- Ensure Nebraska develops a Clean Power Plan that includes more renewable energy projects, along with Ag-based solutions like no-till farming, water sensors, biofuels and turning animal waste into energy.
- Stop projects that risk our land and water, and support locally-made, clean energy that is properly sited with landowners at the table.
- Build the “Made in the Neb” network of small businesses that want to transform Nebraska into a state with the kind of creative community that attracts and retains young people.
- Join allied groups to protect democracy and hold our elected officials accountable, to ensure all members of our communities contribute to and enjoy in “the Good Life.”
- Show our power at the polls with the New Energy Voter Guide, to help navigate which politicians stand with “We the people.”
- Expand the Bold Nebraska model into a “Bold Alliance” — a network of small and mighty groups in red and rural states taking on Big Oil and Big Coal.
These are Bold goals, and we cannot achieve them without you!
When Bold Nebraska first started, we never imagined we would take on a tarsands pipeline. We never imagined we would stand with our Native brothers and sisters on the National Mall showing Pres. Obama that our faces, our families matter. We never imagined we would take on the most powerful industry—the fossil fuel corporations and politicians in their pockets—and win.
Yet, because we stood together with unshakable solidarity, we did all of this and we won. We won over the hearts and minds of folks from all walks of life. We won the ability for farmers, ranchers and Tribal Nations to protect the land and water that has been passed down through generations.
We won a place in history that is marked by “We the People” — we stopped a risky pipeline when no one ever believed we could or would.
Thank you, and here’s to a Bold New Year,