Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway (BRK) has made big investments in renewable energy through its energy companies. But these same energy companies continue to burn a huge amount of coal — one of the chief contributors to climate change — while Buffett has also continued to make new investments in fossil fuel companies.
Nebraska Peace Foundation (which owns a voting share in the company) has submitted a shareholder resolution asking Buffett to do a climate risk assessment. Buffett is allowing the resolution to be voted on at this year’s Berkshire Hathaway Shareholder Meeting on April 30th in Omaha. The resolution will be introduced by world-renowned climate scientist Dr. James Hansen.
But Warren Buffett has urged shareholders to vote against the resolution. In his letter to shareholders, Buffett writes that he understands that climate change keeps people up at night, and he thinks people in low lying areas should move.
Said Buffett: “Call this Noah’s Law: If an ark may be essential for survival, begin building it today, no matter how cloudless the skies appear.”
Buffett sees climate change causing disasters, but he doesn’t see any risk of his insurance companies experiencing “significant losses” from them yet.
It’s time for Warren Buffett to build a #ClimateArk — starting with the climate risk assessment for his companies outlined in the shareholder resolution proposed by Nebraska Peace Foundation.
We’re thrilled that former NASA climate scientist Dr. James Hansen is coming to Omaha to present the shareholder resolution onstage alongside Warren Buffett at the Berkshire meeting. Read Dr. Hansen’s op-ed letter to Warren Buffett.
Dr. Hansen will give a lecture on climate change and protecting our children’s futures at Creighton University on Friday evening:
- WHAT: Dr. James Hansen Lecture at Creighton University
- WHEN: 7:00 – 8:30 p.m.
- WHERE: Creighton University Harper Center for Student Life, 602 North 20th Street
Join Dr. James Hansen, Nebraska Peace Foundation and Bold Nebraska on Saturday, April 30th outside the Berkshire Hathaway Shareholder Meeting in Omaha to deliver our petition and urge shareholders attending the meeting to VOTE YES on the Climate Resolution.
- WHAT: #ClimateArk Rally at Berkshire Hathaway Shareholder Meeting
- WHEN: Saturday, April 30th, 12:00 – 1:30 p.m.
- WHERE: CenturyLink Center, 455 N 10th St, Omaha, NE 68102 (map)
- WHO: Dr. James Hansen (fmr. NASA climate scientist), Bold Nebraska, Nebraska Peace Foundation
- RSVP: Sign up on the form below to let us know you’re coming.
- SIGN: If you can’t join us, click here to sign the petition.
- WATCH: Live video of Berkshire meeting & intro of Climate Resolution