On Friday, Sept. 5, the Nebraska Supreme Court will hear oral arguments in Thompson v. Heineman, the case pitting three Nebraska landowners fighting to protect their land from eminent domain and TransCanada’s proposed Keystone XL pipeline, against an unconstitutional law passed by the Nebraska legislature fast-tracking the pipeline route approval process.
The hearing will take place at 9:00 a.m. at the Nebraska Supreme Court, located inside the State Capitol building in Lincoln.
*Advocates: Please RSVP below. Plan to arrive at 8:00 a.m. outside the Supreme Court hearing room on the 2nd floor of the Capitol, to start lining up for a seat in the courtroom.
*Press: Detailed info on the case, pictures of landowner plaintiffs is listed at http://boldnebraska.org/lawsuit. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info on interviews with landowners. You MUST contact Janet Bancroft, 402-471-3205, email@example.com for credential inside court room.
Hearing & Press Conference
If the small Supreme Court hearing room fills up, we have reserved an overflow courtroom with live video of the court proceedings. The hearing will feature roughly 10 minutes of oral arguments from both sides, and any questions from the judges. Immediately after the hearing concludes, we will hold a press conference in the Capitol rotunda (also located on the 2nd floor of the State Capitol).
- WHAT: Nebraska Supreme Court Hearing and Press Conference
- WHERE: Supreme Court Hearing Room
- 2nd floor of State Capitol (1445 K St, Lincoln, NE 68508)
- WHEN: Hearing begins at 9:00 a.m. CT
- Arrive at 8:00 a.m. on the 2nd floor to get in line!
- Press conference follows at approx. 9:30 a.m. in the Capitol rotunda
- RULES: NO photos, video, hats, food or drink is allowed in the courtroom. You must turn off your cell phone. You can wear your Pipeline Fighter t-shirt but can NOT bring in any signs.
If you’re not able to attend the hearing, the proceedings will be broadcast live on NET-2, and streamed live via NetNebraska.org. (We will post a direct link to the livestream here the morning of the hearing. C-SPAN may cover the feed as well.)
Bold Nebraska is planning a rally in the evening after the hearing at VEGA in the Haymarket area — that will double as a DVD+CD release party for “Stopping the Pipeline Rocks,” the album recorded by local artists inside the solar-powered barn built by volunteers last summer inside the path of the Keystone XL pipeline.
The evening will feature speakers including landowners’ attorney Dave Domina and other Pipeline Fighters, as well as live musical performances from artists who performed on “Stopping the Pipeline Rocks,” which will be available for sale at the event at the discounted rate of $10 (normally $25).
- WHAT: Rally for Citizens v. Pipeline Lawsuit & DVD+CD Release Party
- WHEN: Friday, Sept. 5th 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- WHERE: VEGA, 350 Canopy St #220, Lincoln, NE 68501
- COVER FEE: $10 (plus another $10 gets you the DVD+CD!)
FEATURING LIVE PERFORMANCES FROM: